Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day in Idaho



This week, my sister Kali and I spent Wednesday in Idaho falls. We brought Hyrum and Walter with us. Matt spent the day at Lagoon with Jane and Eli. He is such a good dad and husband. I am always so grateful he spends so much time with our kids. They always have such a blast with him. We had a nice drive up. Other than my lead foot got me a speeding ticket; I always enjoy talking with Kali. When I go to Idaho, it reminds me of my childhood-all the familiar sights along the way. First the "Welcome to Idaho" sign, all the nothingness, then Pocatello. Ah not to much longer. The Army store. Off the exit I almost always miss- I don't know why. Over the tracks and straight on to Sunnyside Rd and then to Ammon Rd. I love seeing the Speedymart at the corner of Sunnyside and Ammon Rd. I always want to go in and buy some penny candy. My cousin Stephanie and I would ride bikes there as kids to get penny candy. It was something I always looked forward to doing when we came to Idaho.
We went to our aunt Leslee's house first. Up her dirt driveway, past all the farm cats, in the back door to the welcoming sound of lots of family. Seven of Leslee's eight kids were all there with all of their kids. It was one house full. That's what I love about her house, the more the merrier. It's always crazy. Between the sucker-making, quilting, large meals, napping, movie-watching, and chatting, there is always something going on. I love it though. Because that's how its always been. You just squeeze in where ever you want.
We had a nice time visiting. Catching up on everyone's lives and just talking about whatever came to our minds.
Once we left Leslee's house we went to visit Grandpa Garner. He is doing good. As good as you could expect I suppose. I walked in his room and saw a picture of he and my Grandma. They looked lovely, happy. It has almost been twenty years since my Grandma passed away. Then I saw Grandpa. He looked like he was just putting up with life. Passing each day waiting for his turn to leave this earth. I thought about our purpose here on earth, how we are given challenges and joys. Sometimes I get over a challenge and think "Oh good I made it I am clear now right, no more hard for me. " Then I realize life is a treadmill once you conquer something, it is on to the next thing. Hopefully we can see the joy that is in each day. And even though it is a treadmill, it is also a ladder that we can climb and get better. I think living out each day is a trial for him but I think he finds joy in each day as well. Grandpa has a good heart. Every time I visit with him I am astounded by his memory. When he is telling me a story, he can tell me the first and last name of his childhood neighbor. One of my favorite things is stories from Grandpa.
We left Grandpas with mixed feelings. It was really nice to see him. At the same time, my heart was aching for him. Only being able to imagine how hard his trials in his life have been. It was now time to go home. Walt was sad for a while but we still had a good visit on the drive back to Utah. I hope to get back to Idaho sooner before later.

No comments:

Post a Comment